Rate Your Skills
Add up all of your “YES" answers and circle the rating that most closely applies. Scores are at the end!!kills Sef Assessment
Crew Sailing Self Assessment Tool
Please rate your sailing skills to classify yourself. These questions are not meant to be intimidating. SSC membership application and crew sign-up sheets ask for a rating to assist Skippers in their requests for a balanced crew. Check yes or no and be completely honest. The intent is to help you plan to increase your knowledge, skills and enjoyment.
- Have you ever been on a sailboat before? Power boat?
- Do you have your CT Safe Boating Certificate?
- Do you have appropriate sailing gear, e.g., deck shoes, foul weather gear, etc.
- Can you furl a sail?
- Can you operate a marine head?
- Do you know port from starboard? Bow from stern? Forward from aft?
- Can you secure a line to a cleat properly?
- Can you attach a fender properly?
- Can you wrap, tail and crank a winch?
- Have you been on the foredeck when the boat is underway?
- Can you tie a bowline?
- Can you tie a figure 8 knot?
- Do you know what halyards and sheets are?
- Can you attach the sails/sheets or halyards without instruction?
- Can you attach the sails/sheets or halyards with instruction?
- Do you know what the forestay and spreaders are?
- Can you trim sails properly without instruction?
- Can you trim sails properly with instruction?
- Can you describe the terms head, tack, clew, luff, foot, and leach?
- Do you know what leeward and windward are?
- Do you know how to cast off?
- Do you know how to handle mooring and docking lines?
- Do you know how to assist in a raft-up?
- Can you set an anchor?
- Can you head the boat into the wind for raising the sails, etc.?
- Can you change the jibs/reef the main in heavy weather?
- Do you know what “heading up” and “falling off” mean?
- Do you know what a run is, a reach, a beat?
- Can you tack/jibe a boat?
- Can you attach spring lines?
- Can you handle the tiller/wheel while going downwind?
- Can you handle the tiller/wheel going upwind?
- Can you handle the tiller/wheel in heavy weather?
- Do you know what a weather helm is? A lee helm?
- Can you sail a boat by the tell-tales and/or wind-vane?
- Can you operate an engine?
- Do you understand basic sound signals?
- Can you hold a course on a compass heading?
- Can you read and locate your position on a chart?
- Can you plot a course?
- Can you operate a GPS?
- Can you be on the tiller or wheel for short periods of time?
- Can you be on the tiller or wheel for long periods of time?
- Do you have knowledge of the basic buoying system; e.g., “red right returning?”
- Can you operate and read RADAR?
- Can you put on a PFD (life jacket) properly?
- Do you know how to light/operate an alcohol/kerosene/propane stove?
- Can you operate a VHF marine radio properly?
- Can you use a fire extinguisher?
- Do you know man overboard (MOB) procedures?
- Can you conduct a man overboard (MOB) procedure?
- Do you know how to use a “life sling?”
- If something happens to the Skipper, can you take over the boat operation?
Add up all of your “YES’ answers and circle the rating that most closely applies:
0-15 Novice 16-37 Intermediate 38-53 Experienced